Document management solutions help you preserve your physical documents for long. But that’s not all! The longevity of confidential documents also has an impact on business continuity and long-term returns. Hence, it is important to take a wise decision when you choose a document management solution. There can be a huge difference between planning to install a document management solution and actually implementing a DMS that simplifies your business process.
Irrespective of the DMS that you finalize upon, these 12 features are a must in a document management solution. Here’s the list:
- Document indexing – Document indexing refers to segregating documents according to the categories of document mostly dealt with by your organisation. It also helps to add additional information to a document. For example, adding client details to the invoices can help to retrieve documents based on both invoice number as well as client name. Thus, document indexing helps to reduce time during search and retrieval of documents.
- Folder structure – Having a customized folder structure in place helps to fasten work processes. Your DMS should have different folders for different departments or user groups. To ensure data security, access to these folders should be restricted to only a few user groups. This can help to prevent other user groups from accessing important and confidential data.
- Workflow – Work flows faster and generates quick results when work processes are aligned to the needs of the business. Customized workflow designs can help with requisitions, approvals and workflow management. It can help to detect bottlenecks and prevent damage or delays.
- Document sets – An efficient document management system always helps to auto-link multiple documents. These auto-linked documents, irrespective of their location, can be stored as ‘document sets’. Sets work like virtual folders and help you retrieve multiple documents with a single click.
- Document Templates – Document management systems not only help to manage existing documents but also simplify the document generation process. If a DMS comes with customized document templates, bulk document generation can be a cake walk! What’s more, it ensures minimal human intervention!
- OCR – Technology is put to best use only if a DMS comes with a built-in OCR. Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is a tool that helps to retrieve documents based on the content that they contain. This tool can be employed during the indexing phase for document retrieval within seconds!
- Encryption – The primary role of a DMS is to provide data security. This is done by document encryption. If a DMS encrypts the documents uploaded on its server, you can trust it for data security. It helps to restrict unauthorized access. So, even if a hacker downloads your confidential documents, he/she cannot decrypt it at their own whims!
- Structured search – Documents are not always retrieved by their names or their content. At times, you’d want to retrieve documents falling in a certain period of time. Perhaps your query may be entirely different. If the DMS you choose comes with a query builder and performs structured search of documents, you’re getting the best deal! Structured search can also help you generate reports. You can save the query and use it anytime you like!
- Data Import – If the volume of your documents is high and the data to be fed in indexing fields is already available in some other software solution like ERP, you can simply import that data into a document management solution. If the DMS you’re thinking about lets you do that, go for it. Make sure, it also accepts data entry in CSV or similar formats and auto-links the same with the documents uploaded.
- Universal File Viewer – The types of documents an organisation has to deal with can be varied. Does that mean you hunt for varied executable files to view varied documents? NO!! The perfect document management solution will never let you waste time on that. It has to offer you the ‘Universal File Viewer’ feature. This way, you can view documents belonging to 22 file formats! (without having to wonder how to!) 🙂
- Web-based access – The most user-friendly DMS is the one which lets you manage your documents on the go. Your location, your time zone, your gadget should have nothing to do with the documents that you wish to work on. If the DMS offers web-based access, you have control over your documents 24×7. More productivity, better use of time!
- Integration – Even if you’ve found the best document management solution, if it does not work in tandem with your existing process solutions, it is a total waste of investment. The ideal DMS is the one which integrates with any process solution or software solution that makes your workplace smarter and complete!
Wondering where you’d find the best deal? Connect with us!